- serves 4
- 1 large onion peeled and sliced
- 1 tbl canola oil
- 1 tbl Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbl butter
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 14 fl oz vegetable stock
- 1 tbl plain/corn flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the frying pan over a high heat, add the oil or fat and when its smoking hot stir in the onion with a wooden spoon, keeping them on the move until they are brown and caramelized at the edges which will take about 20 minutes and after 10 turn the heat down to medium.
- Now add the butter, then, using a wooden spoon, stir in the sauce flour. Stir quickly until all the flour has absorbed then stir in the mustard powder and gradually add the stock to the pan a little at a time, stirring all the while, adding enough stock until you get the thickness you want.
- Stir in the table spoon of Worcester sauce, finally taste, add some seasoning and then let it simmer very gently for about 10 minutes.
- Pour into a warmed serving jug