Sausage & Mash
Everyone loves Sausage & Mash. Rich creamy potatoes and savory onion gravy make the perfect companions to The Proper Sasuage.
Author: Proper Sausages
- 2lb The Proper Sausage
- 2lb russet potatoes
- 1 tbl kosher salt
- 2oz butter
- 4 tbl milk
- 2 tbl creme fraiche
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sausage: See sausage cooking instructions on the Cooking Instructions Page
- Use a potato peeler to pare off the potato skins as thinly as possible, then cut the potatoes into even-sized chunks – not too small; if they are large, quarter them, and if they are small, halve them.
- Put the potato chunks in to a large pan of boiling water, sprinkle the salt all over them, put a lid on and simmer the potatoes until they are absolutely tender – they should take 20-25 minutes.
- The way to tell whether they are ready is to pierce them with a skewer in the thickest part: they should not be hard in the centre, and you need to be careful here, because if they are slightly underdone you do get lumps.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain off the water, return them to the saucepan and cover with a clean tea cloth for about 4 minutes to absorb some of the steam, then add the butter, milk and crème fraîche.
- When you first go in with the whisk, use a slow speed to break the potatoes up, then increase it to high and whip them up to a smooth, creamy, fluff